Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of the thesis project
- Produce a body of professional-level artwork warranting a professional gallery exhibit, demonstrating personal vision, rigor and cohesiveness in style, group and concept
- Work with appropriate skill in a chosen medium or mediums.
Planning and Conceptual Development
- Conduct project-related research
- Explore ideas and articulate concepts.
- Choose appropriate materials and techniques to support concepts.
- Critically evaluate personal work using objective criteria: describing facts, analyzing composition, interpreting content, and judging results.
- Give clear and concise professional presentations (verbal and visual).
- Professionally present ideas in writing.
- Produce a gallery-ready professional portfolio.
- Produce professional promotional materials.
Specialty Skills: Printmaking
- Demonstrate proficiency in relevant printmaking techniques
- Demonstrate editioning skills
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.