Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Produce an advanced-level thesis project within a digital or traditional specialization, demonstrating mastery and synthesis of the skills taught in the program.
Thesis Project Development
- Propose a solid concept suitable for refinement and development.
- Select an appropriately challenging and feasible project.
- Present a cohesive body of work
- Successfully articulate the end result of the project.
- Demonstrate sufficient preparation for their project (research, problem solving)
Conceptual and Design Skills
- Make creative decisions that optimize conceptual impact, cohesiveness and personal style
- Integrate conceptual and technical elements of photography to convey a story, idea, or emotion
- Effectively deploy design elements within the composition and presentation of the imagery.
- Utilize effective lighting styles, techniques and equipment appropriate to art for commerce, photojournalism/documentary, or fine art applications, as determined by projects and professional focus
- Master exposure, lighting ratios, and post–production skills as appropriate to the project.
Communication and Analysis
- Communicate ideas and proposals clearly, verbally and in writing, including defending work and choices made during capture, output and presentation
- Demonstrate professional behavior throughout the review process
- Critique their photographs with an understanding of technical, aesthetic, and historical context
- Build on feedback to improve their body of work
- Assemble a cohesive portfolio, which shows a unique personal view and style.
- Produce and present professional quality materials
- Clearly articulate future plans and goals in the area of photographic specialty
- Effectively library and archive complete body of work
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.