School of Illustration
Spanning several buildings, Academy of Art University facilities offer Illustration students the equipment and resources necessary to bring their creative visions to life. This includes drawing workshops, digital media labs and drawing classrooms are equipped with state-of-the-art lighting for illustration drawing and painting. In addition to the numerous illustration books and images available through the library, the School of Illustration maintains a collection of original illustrations and samples of professional artwork used as examples, for reference and inspiration by the instructors and students.
Located in San Francisco, the nexus of creative innovation, the School of Illustration provides a training ground that is unique and inspirational.
Models & Costumes
The Illustration Department has 100's of costumes and props used for clothed/costumed figure drawing classes.
Drawing workshops are held throughout the semester giving students access to live models.
Costume Carnival, with a constantly changing theme, is a once a semester super event for students to apply drawing principles taught in the Clothed Figure. This semi annual event is open to all Academy of Art University students who love drawing and bringing characters to life.
Illustration students have access to the following resources found in the University’s Library:
- Numerous illustration titles
- 8 eMacs with scanners and Photoshop
- Wide-screen DVD theater
- Print and digital stock photography and illustration
- Over 30 Internet computers
- 300 screenplays
- 13 electronic research databases
- Online access to thousands of images
- Virtual Reference
Illustration students have access to the following equipment found in the University’s shared Mac Lab and classrooms:
Our classrooms offer the latest in digital workstations, software and new media technology. Our MacLab is the largest such facility on the West Coast. Graduate students have access to a state-of-the-art Usability Lab for testing their projects to ensure optimal user experience and functionality.
- iMac workstations
- Xserve servers
- Wacom Intuos drawing tablets
- Hi-res LCD projectors in all classrooms
- Epson flatbed scanners
- Nikon slide/negative scanners
- HP high-speed laser printers
- Ricoh Fiery color laser printers
- Wireless networking in all classrooms and Mac Lab Nikon D90 and D7000 SLR cameras
- M-Audio Keystation MIDI controllers
- Wireless networking in all classrooms and MacLabs
- Acrobat Pro
- After Effects
- Cinema 4D
- DVD Studio Pro
- Final Cut Pro Studio
- KeyCorrect Pro, Knoll Light Factory Pro
- Logic Pro Studio
- Magic Bullet Suite
- Microsoft Office
- Suitcase Fusion
- Trapcode Suite