School of Industrial Design
BFA Program Learning Outcomes
It is the objective of the School of Industrial Design to establish the preeminent design program in the country by achieving the following: placing students in industry-leading firms; maintaining top professionals teaching their trade; increasing exposure to the design and business community by participating in and organizing events and workshops; providing students with a technical skill base and a problem-solving ability that will keep them employable.
BFA graduates of the Industrial Design will meet the following student performance criteria:
Research & Analysis
Effectively conduct research to acquire the necessary information for design projects
Analyze acquired information to determine target audience and design criteria
Generate creative and feasible concepts for a target audience
Apply basic industrial design principles to solve problems identified in the research and analysis phase
Generate design proposals, targeted to the intended audience, complete with color and material choices
Produce accurate, well composed sketches/drawings using traditional or digital tools to effectively communicate design concepts, proposals, and intentions
Produce well crafted 3-D models (traditional or digital) complete with color and material indications
Present design proposals reflecting the entire process of the design project
Demonstrate graphic sensitivity in page layout, font, color, and so on’
Produce a professional portfolio of work demonstrating their skills to a potential employer
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
^ back to top
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of
art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis
of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual,
oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and
contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for
art and design.
If you're interested in signing up for one of the Academy of Art University's campus tours, please
click here for more information.
Click here to view upcoming Academy events.