School of Music Production & Sound Design for Visual Media
BFA Program Learning Outcomes
The School of Music Production & Sound Design for Visual Media program is rooted in music composition principles and sound design techniques, which serve as the basis for hands-on application of music and sound for visual media, including film, television, web, video games and animation. Curriculum provides both the strong foundation in music theory and the sound design techniques necessary to create sound or music that supports the narrative. Students will demonstrate proficiency in and utilize the latest computer-based production tools to create professional level collaborative projects. Graduates will enter the field with a demo reel suitable for professional opportunities in Music Production & Sound Design for Visual Media.
BFA graduates of the School of Music Production & Sound Design for Visual Media will meet the following student performance criteria:
Music and Sound Design
Design sound or music which supports the emotional content of the visual image
Construct effective sound or music for different visual environments such as film, television, animation, games and commercials
Demonstrate heightened listening skills and identify key musical or sound components
Demonstrate proficiency with software related to contemporary sound or music production techniques
Demonstrate proficiency with audio recording techniques, editing, and mixing
Produce work in a modeled professional environment, with a broad understanding of the sound/music post production workflow
Create a compelling demo reel that demonstrates professional level competency
Think critically and demonstrate flexibility in creating or editing music or sound for client needs
Composition (Composers Only)
Demonstrate thorough understanding of the language of music: harmony, melody and rhythm
Analyze dramatic scoring and compose film music in the style of selected historical periods and genres
Orchestrate and arrange music
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
^ back to top
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of
art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis
of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual,
oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and
contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for
art and design.
If you're interested in signing up for one of the Academy of Art University's campus tours, please
click here for more information.
Click here to view upcoming Academy events.