EA and AAU Stage Competition and Exhibition
MACHINIMA & ART COMPETITION & EXHIBIT
Electronic Arts and the Academy of Art University are holding a joint machinima and art
competition and exhibition.
All Academy students are encouraged to participate. Detailed official submission rules and
regulations will be forthcoming.
EA will provide over
$10,000 of prizes and incentives to be distributed to student winners.
Portions of student prizes will also go to the department for the benefit of all students within
The first prize student winner will receive
Key theme: "Embrace The Sims 2 as a Creative Toolbox"
In this competition, students will be encouraged to stretch their creativity in Machinima,
painting, sculpture, fashion design, cinematography, interactive displays, or any other medium
appropriate for the gallery space.
Winners may be featured on EA websites as well as in national publications and games-related
Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Narrative or expressive content
- Character Development
- Art Direction
- Appropriate use of music
The content of student movies and artwork must be appropriate for teen audiences. To stay within
the ESRB "T" rating, you must avoid explicit violence, sex, or drug use.
The Academy of Art University and EA representatives will determine selection of
EA will provide necessary Sims 2 assets as well as research and inspirational material for
students. EA will also provide music from The Sims library for use in the machinima
movies. Students will be assisted in rollout and given advice during the progress of their
projects by EA representatives.
June 26 - July 19 2007
79 New Montgomery Gallery, Academy of Art University
The design of the exhibition will be determined by the Academy of Art University in consultation
with Electronic Arts. The exhibition will consist of student-produced Machinima using
primarily The Sims 2 movie-making tool. Approximately 15 plasma screens will display the
selected pieces. Interspersed throughout the gallery will be other student-created pieces which
could include other digital work, 2D flat work such as paintings, illustrations, and drawings, as
well as 3D sculptural work such as toy and furniture models, fashion pieces, and sculptures.
FUN FACTS ABOUT THE SIMS
- The Sims is the best-selling PC game of all time, with more than 70 million copies sold
- The Sims is known for its appeal across all genders and ages - approximately 70% of The
Sims 2 players are female.
- The Sims 2 official community site receives more than 1.8 million unique visitors per
- The Sims 2 has been translated into more than 20 languages, including Swedish, Thai, and
- The Sims 2 was only video game to make the cover of Newsweek.
- France loves The Sims so much that the country has issued an official postage stamp
honoring the game.
- The Sims 2 allows you to make your own Machinima films with the new movie-making
feature. Create the cast, set the stage, take control the camera, and capture your own screenplay