International Student Handbook:
New International Student Instructions
Step 1: When you receive your I-20
- Make sure your personal and program information on the first page of your I-20 is correct. Any correction must be reported to your advisor immediately—we’ll make the correction and mail you a new one.
- Print your name, sign, and date the I-20 on the bottom of page one.
- There are strict regulations to which you agree when you sign the I-20 and enter the U.S as an F-1 student. Read these regulations on page 2 of your I-20 carefully—you are responsible for knowing them.
- Send an email to your advisor to confirm you received your I-20.
Step 2: Pay the Sevis I-901 Fee (must be paid within 30 days from the day you receive the I-20)
- You are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee of $200 by mail or over the Internet. Please see the SEVIS I-901 Fee instructions in the I-20 package. Academy of Art School Code is SFR 214F 00500000
- Your SEVIS ID number can be found on page one of your I-20 (upper right corner).
Step 3: Obtain an F-1 Student Visa
- To apply for an F-1 Student Visa, contact the U.S Embassy/Consulate in your home country for details. Some U.S. Embassies/Consulates will accept your visa application at any time, while others will require you to make an appointment in advance, so be sure you plan ahead. It can take more than a month to process a student visa.
- If you are from a country that is participating in the visa waiver program, Do not enter the U.S on a visa waiver—you must apply for an F-1 Student Visa. After you've obtained your F-1 visa you are required to send an email to let your advisor know.
You can register for your classes after receiving your F-1 student visa and speaking with your advisor. After class registration is completed, you can log on to Student Self Service to:
- View your class schedule
- Sign the Enrollment Agreement (mandatory)
- Make tuition payments
- Submit your U.S. address and phone number, if you have them
- Choose your own room assignment after you've applied for on campus housing.
Note: If you have not received your username and password, please contact your advisor.
• After you receive your F-1 Student Visa, book your flight to San Francisco (SFO). You can enter the U.S no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 program start date.
Step 4: Book your flight
Step 5: Email your arrival date and time to your Admissions Specialist
Useful Things to Know:
Transportation from the airport
Airport shuttles to downtown San Francisco cost about $20, while taxis are around $40. The Academy of Art University does not provide airport pickup.
For the summer semester, you should have at least $6,000. For fall or spring semester, you should have at least $10,000 available to pay for tuition, books, and materials (does not include campus housing fees).
There is no health form to fill out. You should visit your local doctor and have a health examination and receive the necessary vaccination before traveling to the U.S., and receive a doctor’s note after the examination is completed.
It can take several days to open a U.S. bank account, so please have a credit card as backup.
You can pay your tuition online through Student Self Service or in person when you arrive. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and traveler's checks—personal checks, money orders and/or bank drafts should be made payable to Academy of Art University. Wire transfers are also accepted but can take several days to process.
Campus Housing & Payment.
If you've applied for on campus housing, you should do the following:
- Email your arrival date and time to email@example.com and your advisor.
- Log on to your Student Self Service and choose your own room assignment.
- Pay your housing balance when you move into campus housing. For any questions regarding your housing, please contact the Housing Department directly at 1-415-618-6335, or fax us at 1-415-618-6276.
If you are living in campus housing, you must have health insurance that covers you in the US. We recommend having health insurance even if you are not living in campus housing–pick up an insurance brochure upon arrival.
It is important that all visitors to the U.S have adequate health insurance coverage during their stay here. As a result, all F-1 visa holders are required to maintain health insurance during their studies at the Academy. We encourage students to contact the International Student Office if they have any questions or problems relating to health insurance.
Coverage may be purchased online through Health Net via the Wells Fargo Student Insurance website. http://studentinsurance.wellsfargo.com
International Student Office
Contact International Students Office
We have language support