Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Still & Motion Capture Skills
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge and application of digital camera techniques for capture of both still and video based imagery in wide range of shooting scenarios
- Demonstrate familiarity with latest equipment and technologies in use in the industry
- Apply knowledge of camera control, principles of design and composition in still and video based imagery
Audio Capture Skills
- Produce a unified sound design that supports visual imagery
- Produce audio that heightens the overall expression of the story
- Demonstrate an effective balance between dialogue, music, and effects
Lighting Skills & Set Design
- Demonstrate mastery of strobe, continuous source, natural and mixed lighting on location and in studio
- Apply technical lighting skills to achieve specific mood, aesthetically accentuate images and produce conceptual outcomes
- Employ unified set design elements (color, texture, form) to express mood and narrative
Post-Production & Editing Skills
- Demonstrate proficiency in a variety of post-production techniques using current industry-related visual software programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, and Adobe After Effects
- Apply advanced editing techniques to convey a compelling story or idea
- Communicate the ideas embedded in work both visually, in still and video based imagery, and in writing
- Creatively apply technical skills to convey a specific story
Professional Communication Skills
- Utilize group discussions and critiques to evaluate the success of still and video based imagery created by themselves and others
- Participate in the organization of teams and work collaboratively with people from a range of disciplines
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional practices, communications, organizations and career opportunities in the field of still and video based imagery
- Present a professional portfolio and appropriate support material such as website and marketing materials, to showcase personal vision and technical understanding in image capture, audio, lighting, post-production and editing skills
- Demonstrate technical knowledge necessary to be certifiable as an expert in visual software programs relating to photography and motion capture
- Demonstrate professionalism though still and video based imagery assistantship or internship
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.