Financial Aid & Tuition Information
< Back to Financial Aid Home
Academy of Art University is authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students enrolled in our degree programs for benefits under Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill – Active Duty and the Fry Scholarship) Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 35 (Veteran’s Spouses or Dependents), Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve), and Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program). Eligibility and chapter is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. All Active Duty Soldiers (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) are authorized to participate in the TA program through the GoArmyEd portal (subject to qualifying criteria).
The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform TA fiscal policy across the military services. Currently, the established semester hour cap is $250 and each Soldier has an annual ceiling of $4,500. Authorized fees covered by TA are mandatory fees that are associated with an individual course enrollment. Non-reimbursable fees and fees that are not linked to individual course enrollments (e.g. application fees, graduation fees) are not covered by TA.
TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning. The courses must be offered by colleges that are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Academy of Art University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.
Reserve Tuition Assistance
Many members of the Selective Reserve are eligible for tuition assistance. However, each of the Armed Forces determines how to administer their own Tuition Assistance (TA). Contact your local Reserve Education Office for assistance with TA or any other voluntary education assistance.
This online portal serves as a virtual gateway for education programs and services available to the U.S. Army’s active duty soldiers, reservists, and members of the National Guard. Eligible members can use this site to access information about testing, transcripts, tuition assistance, and more. One resource provided is a list of Multi-use Learning Facilities (MLF)/Army Learning Centers (ALC) located worldwide.
Find out more about the training and education resources provided through each branch of service by exploring the following websites:
- The Soldier must declare a specific degree as an educational goal and obtain a degree map. TA will only be approved for courses that are listed on the degree map or lead to the goal. Soldiers need to establish an educational goal with an Admissions Representative (415.274.2219).
- Soldiers must contact an Education Center counselor for validation of their chosen educational goal and confirm TA eligibility.
- Submit a TA Authorization Form to the Financial Aid Office:
- Fax: 415.618.6290
- Email: VA@academyart.edu
- Mail: Academy of Art University, Attn: Financial Aid Office, 79 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
- Contact Accounts Receivable (415.618.6429 or AR@academyart.edu) to make payment arrangements. If applying for financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office (415.618.6190 or VA@academyart.edu) to ensure financial aid file is complete.