School of Illustration
MFA Thesis Project
Plan a portfolio of works directed towards legitimate markets
Produce a professional-level portfolio consisting of 15 works directed towards legitimate markets
Demonstrate the skills necessary in the chosen medium or mediums to successfully complete their thesis project
Create compelling images
Maintain a consistent ’language’ or ’signature style’
Research and Conceptualization Skills
Clearly identify their audience
Conduct research for reference
Professionally present and discuss their work with a review committee.
Develop both digital and print materials to market themselves and their work
Demonstrate an understanding of current trends and visual industry standards by describing how their work will address a specific market
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
^ back to top
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of
art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis
of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual,
oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and
contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for
art and design.
If you're interested in signing up for one of the Academy of Art University's campus tours, please
click here for more information.
Click here to view upcoming Academy events.