Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Visual Communication and Problem Solving
- Design elements for film, television, or game
- Make effective design choices to support narrative, character, and/or mood
- Demonstrate the ability to research for inspiration, reference, accuracy, and incorporate findings into design solutions
- Demonstrate facility and flexibility with animation and/or VFX technology and software
- Demonstrate facility with digital media
- Assemble a professional demo reel or portfolio demonstrating an understanding of the target market
- Demonstrate an understanding of the production pipeline through successful participation in the collaborative / pipeline process.
- Clearly express creative thought processes, concepts and strategies using industry-standard vocabulary
Specialty skills: Storyboarding
- Create and pitch stories and concepts through the use of sequential imagery
- Produce work that demonstrates an understanding of cinematic continuity
- Demonstrate proficient drawing skills: composition, perspective, proportion, and anatomy
Specialty Skills: 2D Animation and Stop Motion
- Apply the principles of animation to effectively communicate character action, emotion, and mood
- Demonstrate facility with hand skills in drawing, painting, and sculpture
- Demonstrate facility, flexibility with fabrication tools and materials
Specialty skills: Modeling
- Model with appropriate use of form, proportion, weight, anatomy, gesture, and facial expressions
- Create and apply textures consistent with the overall look of the project
Specialty skills: 3D Animation
- Apply principles of animation
- Convey motion (biped and quadruped) and interaction of moving objects
Specialty skills: Visual Effects
- Design and generate digital elements and effects that meet the needs of the imagery
- Combine digital effects and elements from different sources with live action media to a fine degree of visual believability and consistency
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.