Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Demonstrate development of design exploration and understanding throughout the program
- Visually communicate ideas through hand sketching/ drawing, including hand drawn concept sketches, design process sketches and diagrams
- Visually communicate ideas through architectural drawings (digital or otherwise): site plan, plan, section, elevation, and 3D representation
- Produce accurate physical models of design ideas
- Effectively summarize the project and process in a well-crafted proposal and thesis book
- Professionally present the thesis proposal and final project
Building Systems, Materials and Methods:
- Demonstrate understanding of material systems and construction details
- Demonstrate understanding of building systems (including structural systems, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems)
- Demonstrate understanding of environmental control systems
- Demonstrate understanding of building codes and accessibility
- Apply sustainability concepts in their project
Thesis Proposal Development:
- Clearly define the mission of their project
- Present research that defines the need and desirability of the project
- Provide a profile of the user group
- Comprehensively define and analyze the proposed site area and its context
- Present and analyze relevant precedents for the project
- Develop a general project concept related to the site analysis and program
- Effectively present the suitability of the proposed program on the proposed site
- Produce a spatial/ functional program online
- Produce a comprehensive architectural and building solution to the mission statement
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.