Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Critical Design Thinking and Representation
- Develop an intelligent design concept and process
- Demonstrate strong fundamental design and ordering skills
- Produce a thorough analysis and study of precedents
- Compare studio work with global historical precedents
- Develop a rigorous material logic for model-making
- Construct drawings and models with a high level of craft
- Produce architectural drawings with appropriate technical skill
- Engage a range of design methodologies to advance a design
- Integrate Landscape Architecture, Art, and Urban Design strategies into the design process
- Integrate Theory and Design
- Develop a design identity which synthesizes critical thought, artistic vision, technical skills, and core values
Comprehensive Design Project
- Develop an innovative concept for the comprehensive design of a building
- Complete a thorough user & programmatic analysis
- Graphically analyze the urban and environmental conditions and systems of a site
- Develop a research-driven strategy for integrating building systems into the design
- Develop an environmental strategy for the building envelope and material selection
- Graphically explain the environmental performance systems of the design
- Employ sustainable strategies in the design
- Integrate structural systems into the design
- Produce thorough technical documentation of a building, which defines the relationship between systems
- Address accessibility and life safety requirements in the design
Visual and Verbal Presentation Skills
- Clearly explain and defend design projects
- Create project boards which exhibit logical sequencing and composition
- Develop intelligent representational strategies in research presentation
Leadership and Community
- Engage a collaborative process in the development of a design, with a range of design and engineering disciplines.
- Propose design that demonstrates a commitment to community and social responsibility
- Demonstrate an ability to design for different cultures
- Create proposals which demonstrate a knowledge of professional practices and contractual conventions.
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.