Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- (Painting & Printmaking) Produce a consistent body of work demonstrating proficiency in a breadth of fine art disciplines
- (Sculpture) Demonstrate understanding of three-dimensional composition, crafting (technical skill) and applying underlying concept to the overall sculpted solution.
- (Painting & Printmaking) Demonstrate basic skills in composition
- (Sculpture) Demonstrate basic skills in 3D composition
- (Painting & Printmaking) Demonstrate effective use of color theory
- (Painting) Demonstrate effective use of proportion and gesture
- (Painting) Demonstrate effective use of perspective
- (Painting & Printmaking) Use value effectively when creating form
- (Painting & Printmaking) Use appropriate style and techniques to effectively execute ideas
- (Painting) Apply anatomical knowledge to accurately draw the human form
- Demonstrate craftsmanship and fine attention to detail
- (Sculpture) Develop ideas (concept) that supports the overall composition (or construction) of a sculptural form.
- (Sculpture) Devote attention to transitions and effectively solve transition problems
- (Sculpture) Present and light work in gallery-ready form, including designing effective mounting systems
- (Printmaking) Demonstrate technical proficiency in the six major components of printmaking (etching, lithography, silkscreen, monotype, relief and book arts)
- (Printmaking) Demonstrate technical proficiency in editioning
- (Sculpture) Execute sculptural solutions with media-specific technical proficiency
Concept Development and Critical Analysis
- Explore and clearly articulate concepts and creative possibilities with a given topic or subject
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of concept and execution of a given artwork
- Describe work effectively
- Produce a professional-standard portfolio of well-crafted artwork demonstrating coherence and personal vision
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.