Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of the thesis project
- Create a thesis project that demonstrates a mastery of interactive game design and specialized knowledge of game art or game and level design.
- Critically evaluate the aesthetics, meaning and effect of imagery.
- Demonstrate mastery of the tools and technology related to area of specialty
- Demonstrate familiarity with contemporary game production technology and processes by completing game documents and a playable level
- Present their ideas and solutions in a cogent and well-organized manner.
Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Create project schedules and milestones and manage resources to meet project goals
- Research and generate workable solutions under a deadline.
- Demonstrate a sophisticated level of understanding of game art or design
- Produce a professional demo reel or portfolio which meets industry standards.
- Work cooperatively and effectively in a production environment.
Specialty Skills: Game Art
- Model, texture and light 3-dimensional forms that are genre and format specific.
- Implement industry and hardware budgets and prepare files for production.
- Implement concepts in 2D or 3D within budget and to project specifications
Specialty Skills: Game & Level Design
- Communicate abstract ideas using game design documents and 2D maps
- Create playable games with both vector and 3D technology
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.