Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of the thesis project
- Create a thesis project that demonstrates a professional-level achievement in specialty
- Critically evaluate the aesthetics, meaning and effect of imagery.
- Demonstrate mastery of the tools and technology related to area of specialty
- Present their ideas and solutions in a cogent and well-organized manner, using industry-standard vocabulary
- Create visually compelling, professional-quality presentation materials
Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Create project schedules and milestones and manage resources to meet project goals
- Research and generate workable solutions under a deadline.
- Produce a professional demo reel or portfolio which meets industry standards.
- Work cooperatively and effectively in a production environment.
Specialty Skills: Game Art
- Model, texture and light 3-dimensional forms that are genre and format specific.
- Implement industry and hardware budgets and prepare files for production.
- Implement concepts in 2D or 3D within budget and to project specifications
Specialty Skills: Game & Level Design
- Communicate abstract ideas using game design documents and 2D maps
- Create playable games with both vector and 3D technology
Specialty Skills: Animation
- Effectively apply the principles of animation to characters, environments/props, or VFX
- Demonstrate continuity in visual storytelling when incorporating original animations into established game engines
- Develop and showcase a consistent signature style
Specialty Skills: Environment Modeling
- Translate visual research to create 3D environments appropriate for the artistic style of the project
- Model, texture and light forms in 3-dimensions that demonstrate a thorough understanding of organic, architectural, and industrial form
- Produce assets such as buildings, vehicles and foliage which take into account gameplay considerations
Specialty Skills: Character Modeling
- Sculpt, model and texture forms in 3-dimensions that demonstrate a thorough understanding of human and zoological anatomy
- Translate visual research to create 3D characters appropriate for the artistic style of the project
- Produce assets such as humanoid characters, creatures and props which take into account gameplay considerations
Specialty Skills: Concept
- Follow an industry-standard process, from thumbnails through final render, to generate designs appropriate for gameplay/mechanics
- Apply visual research to design solutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of movement, proportion, and functionality of designs through effective orthographic or perspective drawings
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.