Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Critical & Creative Thinking
- Conduct appropriate research to identify problems and potential solutions
- Initiate appropriate level of audience involvement and participation
- Demonstrate the resourcefulness and flexibility necessary to conceive and execute
- Create compelling and engaging visual communications that convey appropriate
messages and ideas
- Address problems through a design process
- Develop design solutions that function effectively within a defined context (social,
cultural, technological, economic, etc.)
- Create visual communications demonstrating competent formal design skills which include: hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition and construction of meaningful images
- Demonstrate competence in media, materials, tools, technology, and techniques
- Demonstrate sound organization and design project management skills
- Effectively present and communicate ideas
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for chosen career path through the presentation of a competent body of work
MFA Thesis Project
- Produce a comprehensive graduate thesis project that successfully utilizes design to solve for an identified problem
- Propose a graduate thesis project that identifies a problem, and has the potential for successful development using design
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.