Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of their thesis project
- Explain the relevance of their project to their professional goals
- Complete an approved body of work which represents an advanced level of achievement in their area of focus
Research & Analysis
- Clearly define the problem/opportunity, hypothesis, main objectives, and product requirements in their project brief
- Conduct adequate research and communicate findings using appropriate supporting materials
- Produce work that demonstrates proficiency in branding, graphics, drawing, rendering, 3D modeling, and model making
- Explore materials, color, form, manufacturing, ergonomics/human factors, and sustainability
- Incorporate understanding of costs, bill of materials, and specifications into design planning process
- Use innovative processes and design methodologies to develop conceptually strong projects (including brainstorming, mapping, sketches, and synthesis/testing of many ideas)
- Explore secondary designs: packaging, engineering, user interface, and/or user experience
- Give clear and concise professional presentations (verbal and visual)
- Accurately present their ideas in writing
- Produce a professional portfolio of work demonstrating their skills to a potential employer
- Organize a final, stand-alone gallery exhibit of their completed thesis project
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.