Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Produce accurate, well composed sketches/drawings, using traditional and/or digital tools, to effectively communicate design concepts, proposals, and intentions
- Demonstrate perspective accuracy in drawings
- Demonstrate effective composition in visual communications
- Demonstrate effective application of shading and contrast in visual communications
- Apply craftsmanship in visual communications
- Visually communicate color, materials, and texture in drawings
- Produce accurate orthographic drawings
- Produce orthographic views and perspective views that relate accurately to each other
- Produce well-crafted 3-D models, using traditional and/or digital tools, complete with color and material indications
- Produce models demonstrating craftsmanship including accuracy of dimension, surface quality, and finishing quality
- Select appropriate materials and processes to craft object
- Produce models accurate to 2D drawings
- Collect data appropriate for the given project
- Describe how the data informs project decisions, draw informed conclusions (forecasting)
- Identify a problem based on research findings
- Produce a variety of concepts to address a stated problem
- Set design criteria relevant to proposed project
- Apply basic design principles to solve identified problem with consideration for sustainability
- Demonstrate creativity in design ideas
- Demonstrate refinement of design throughout design process
- Complete designs to meet all indicated design criteria
- Use form, color, materials, and textures appropriate to the project
- Produce a professional portfolio appropriate for seeking employment within the industry
- Demonstrate graphic sensitivity in portfolio design through page layout, use of fonts, and color selection
- Design portfolio to clearly communicate design processes and design story
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.