Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Interior Design Skills
- Meet industry standards in response to professional ethics, global issues and technological advances
- Demonstrate creative approaches to spatial organization, use of material and lighting
- Establish relationship of interior design elements to the architecture of the building
- Demonstrate an understanding of the laws, codes and standards that impact fire and life safety by correctly applying professional standards to space planning and layouts
- Demonstrate an understanding of ADA and Universal Design principles in interior design solutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts, principles and theories of sustainability as they pertain to building methods, materials, systems and occupants by incorporating sustainable solutions into interior designs
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of human factors and behavior in the built environment by creating informed design solutions.
- Create construction drawings and documents
- Demonstrate an understanding color principles, theories, and systems
- Demonstrate an understanding of movements and traditions in interior design, architecture and furniture by applying precedents design solutions
Problem Solving Skills
- Demonstrate programming skills such as identifying user needs, gathering and analyzing information
- Present a range of design solutions for a project by creating ideation sketches, bubble diagrams and preliminary drawings
Technical Design Skills
- Effectively apply principles of two and three dimensional design through both traditional and digital media
- Effectively apply color in all aspects of visual communication
- Visualize concepts through sketching and space planning
- Clearly communicate design ideas and solutions relative to the goals and objectives of the project program, using accurate design vocabulary in verbal and written presentations
- Demonstrate basic understanding of construction systems such as mechanical, energy, security, acoustics building control systems by making informed design decisions
- Demonstrate basic understanding of non-structural systems such as ceilings, flooring and interior walls in design solutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of social, economic and cultural differences in interior designs
- Collaborate effectively to produce creative projects
- Produce a portfolio and identity system that meets industry standards
- Create a business plan demonstrating familiarity with business and professional practices
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.