Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Present an idea/project worthy of the MFA degree
- Produce an innovative project that contributes to the design community, demonstrating advanced interior architecture and design skills
Interior Design Skills
- Meet industry standards in response to professional ethics, global issues and technological advances
- Demonstrate creative approaches to layout, spatial organization, use of material, lighting, and relationship of interior design and furnishings to the architecture of the building
- Demonstrate an understanding of building codes, safety, health and welfare, ADA and Universal Design principles by correctly applying professional standards to space planning and layouts
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts, principles and theories of sustainability as they pertain to building methods, materials, systems and occupants by incorporating sustainable solutions into interior designs
- Create construction drawings and documents
- Demonstrate an understanding color principles, theories, and systems in interior design
Research and Problem Solving
- Conduct research and synthesize findings to generate multiple concepts and design responses to programmatic requirements.
- Interact with multiple disciplines representing different points of view and perspectives.
- Demonstrate an understanding of movements and traditions in interior design, architecture and furniture by applying precedents to inform design solutions.
- Integrate oral and visual material to present ideas clearly.
Technical Design Skills
- Effectively apply principles of two and three dimensional design through both traditional and digital media.
- Effectively apply color in all aspects of visual communication
- Produce a professional portfolio that meets industry standards
- Create a business plan demonstrating familiarity with business and professional practices
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.