Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Interior Design Skills
- Demonstrate the use of sketches for design and spatial development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the design process in schematic and preliminary phases
- Effectively employ design elements and principles (space, line, mass, shape, texture, scale, proportion, balance) in their projects
- Demonstrate basic understanding of human behavior in the built environment
- Select interior finishes & materials
- Select decorative elements, art and accessories, as appropriate to the project
- Design custom interior elements
- Demonstrate basic understanding of the principles of lighting design in their projects
- Competently prepare drawings, skills, specifications as an integrated system of contract documents
- Produce layouts of furniture, fixtures & equipment
- Create graphic identification, such as signage, as needed in their projects
Concept Development & Problem Solving Skills
- Present design solutions for their project (ideation drawings)
- Demonstrate programming skills such as identifying user needs, gathering and analyzing information
- Analyze design solutions
- Visualize concepts through sketching and space planning
- Prepare space plans, elevations, and sketches to scale (English and Metric)
- Render using multiple mediums
- Clearly express their design solutions
- Produce quality drafting and lettering, both manually and digitally, in construction documents
Building Systems and Interior Materials
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of construction systems such as mechanical, energy management, telecommunications, lighting, ceiling and flooring, security, acoustics, and work station
- Demonstrate an appreciation of solar design
- Demonstrate respect and understanding for social and cultural differences.
- Accommodates individual needs for diverse clients
Codes and Regulations
- Demonstrate knowledge of residential codes and regulations and ADA compliance in projects
- Analyze and edit work for successful communication
- Complete a large-scale project, demonstrating time management and organization skills
- Appreciation of professional ethics in the design industry
- Demonstrate familiarity with key periods in the history of art, architecture, interiors, and furnishings
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.