Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Effectively communicate information and stories to a target audience, applying a general knowledge of visual storytelling and specific technical skills from their area of specialization
- Critically discuss artistic and technical choices using industry terminology
Research and Problem-Solving
- Conduct and apply research to creatively solve problems throughout the filmmaking process (creative, technical, and marketing)
- Intelligently discuss major film movements and the work of key filmmakers
- Effectively assemble their best work into an industry-standard demo reel or portfolio
- Demonstrate professional-level achievement through multiple projects in their area of specialization
Specialty Skills: Editing
- Demonstrate proficiency in post-production technology and techniques
- Make editing decisions to convey a compelling story or create interest in an idea
- Demonstrate basic trouble shooting skills and professional responsibility
Specialty Skills: Screenwriting
- Write shorts and features that demonstrate compelling story and character development
- Pitch their stories effectively
Specialized Skills: Cinematography
- Work effectively with various cameras, lenses and accessories
- Design and execute creative lighting schemes and choices that serve the story
- Apply principles of composition and camera movement to enhance the story (working with the director)
Specialty Skills: Directing
- Guide a crew in preproduction, production, and postproduction to execute effective choices that serve the story
- Elicit engaging and believable performances from actors
Specialty Skills: Producing
- Manage complex productions from commercials to short films
- Assemble creative teams to originate either commercials, music videos, or shorts
- Demonstrate familiarity with negotiating film contracts (for actors, crew, locations, equipment, lodging, transportation, and catering)
- Demonstrate understanding of the legal aspects of film production, including copyrights, trademarks, music licensing, working with minors, unions, finance and distribution
- Demonstrate understanding of film marketing including market research, target audience, promotional tie ins and product placement, press kits, and social marketing. Supervise appropriate publicity campaign
Specialty Skills: Production Design
- Design the look of a film based on the director's vision, including: choosing locations, creating settings, selecting props, and dressing sets
- Collaborate effectively on creative projects
- Communicate design concepts through basic drawing skills and visual presentations
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.