Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Conceptual and Problem-Solving Skills
- Make creative decisions that optimize conceptual impact, cohesiveness and memorability of created images
- Integrate key conceptual elements (such as mood, narrative, introducing the unexpected) with technical elements (such as composition, lighting, point of view) to suggest a story or elicit an emotional response from the viewer
- Solve creative and technical problems that include project parameters and modeled client expectations
- Master indoor and outdoor lighting, studio lighting techniques, lighting with constant light sources, and mixed lighting situations
- Work effectively with natural light and demonstrate understanding of the relationship between time of day and variations related to quality of light
- Work effectively with point source, flood, spot, diffused and reflected light
Camera Capture Skills
- Demonstrate full knowledge of digital SLR components
- Demonstrate complete understanding of exposure controls
- Effectively use a light meter for multiple lighting situations
- Apply advanced Photoshop techniques using various tools, layers, curves and selections with digital images
- Apply retouching skills and color correction knowledge consistent with industry standards
- Produce professional quality prints
- Create high quality print portfolio demonstrating printing skill and overall quality of images required for petition to graduate
- Demonstrate understanding of archival qualities, including ink and paper stability
- Produce and present a professional portfolio that meets department expectations and industry standards
- Create promotional materials to support print portfolio and website
- Demonstrate knowledge of industry trends and professional practices related to professional photography
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.