Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present a clearly defined design project worthy of the MFA degree
- Provide proof of concept demonstrating the feasibility of the project
- Produce a final thesis project demonstrating design thinking, and visual communication and technical skills
- Conduct appropriate market research and apply findings to design decisions
- Demonstrate knowledge of thesis topic and identify resources for content development
- Identify appropriate platform(s) and adapt designs accordingly
- Effectively utilize grid, hierarchy, typography, color, and composition
- Demonstrate interactive design principles as appropriate to the project
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technical skills necessary to execute the thesis project.
- Clearly define the target audience demonstrating a consideration of both primary and secondary users
- Develop final testing plan based on initial explorations
- Apply testing results to refine project throughout the design process.
- Effectively articulate and defend ideas and processes
- Demonstrate organizational skills in the thesis proposal and record of thesis project development process
- Develop and demonstrate the skills required for the chosen professional path, as demonstrated in the thesis project, portfolio and personal website
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.