School of Acting
BFA Program Learning Outcomes
The School of Acting prepares students for acting careers in theater, film and television. Graduates will enter the field with a demo reel demonstrating practical skills in vocal production, improvisation, movement and truthful acting. From the audition process to playing a role, graduates will be prepared to take direction, be spontaneous and collaborate on stage and on set.
BFA graduates of the School of Acting will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Synthesize the results of their training to deliver cohesive performances that demonstrate proficiency in voice and movement, active listening, and connection to the environment, truthful behavior, emotional investment, and full comprehension of a script
- Deliver simple and truthful performances on an appropriate scale for both theater and film
- Analyze plays and screenplays to identify key elements necessary to build an authentic performance
- Behave truthfully under imagined circumstances, as defined by the script
- Listen and respond to other actors reflexively and organically in the working environment
- Create subtext and play a variety of actions based on text
- Identify and develop verbal, emotional and physical actions
- Demonstrate an ability to collaborate with a director and hone a performance by making adjustments based on suggestions and critiques
- Make purposeful physical and movement choices to build a character
- Activate the entire body as an instrument for full expression
- Vocal Production
- Purposefully adjust breath and speech patterns to create vocal power and support specific character choices
- Articulate and project appropriately for the performance medium
- Apply physical characterization and vocal dexterity spontaneously to a developing story or situation
- Exhibit flexibility in their acting choices and responses to acting partners
- Professional Readiness
- Construct a demo reel / finished portfolio suitable for seeking employment within the acting professionalism and a strong work ethic through effective preparation, punctuality, and reliability
- Demonstrate professionalism and a strong work ethic through effective preparation, punctuality, and reliability
- Demonstrate a collaborative spirit and respect for others by making positive contributions to the creative process
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of
art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis
of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual,
oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and
contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for
art and design.