School of Architecture
"We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us."
~ Winston Churchill
The School of Architecture at the Academy of Art University is dedicated to advancing the art of architecture. Students are encouraged to explore the visual, functional and compositional possibilities associated with design within our physical, natural and social environments. With an emphasis on design and guided by knowledgeable faculty, the School of Architecture seeks to endow students with valuable professional skills. Design Studios will address the development of sustainable buildings and communities. The academic programs at the architecture school nurture creativity, support artistic vision and integrate critical thinking with technical information, thus preparing students to become active and engaged leaders in the architectural profession.
Architecture Schools and Degree Programs
The school of Architecture offers two graduate tracks: A 63-unit M.Arch program (Track I) and an 87-unit M.Arch program (Track II). Both the 63-unit and 87-unit architecture degree program tracks are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which governs all architectural schools seeking accreditation. For more information contact an Admissions representative.
Architecture Class Descriptions and Course Schedules
Architectural Design Studios focusing on:
- Case Studies and Ordering Principles
- The Logic of Meaning and the Art of Making
- Sensory Systems
- Programming and Site Influences
- Structural and Environmental Systems
- Comprehensive Project incorporating all of the above
Ours is a unique program which integrates the rich diversity of art and design disciplines within the Academy of Art University. The School of Architecture constantly reviews the program to ensure that we maintain top architecture school standards and keep current with industry developments and trends. Research and innovation in sustainable building design is stressed in all studio projects.
Architecture Support Courses and Technical Classes:
- Spatial Composition
- Environmental Controls and Sustainability
- Architectural History
- Materials and Methods of Construction
- Digitally Generated Morphology
- Professional Practice
- Design Process and Graphic Representation
- And more!
Architecture Thesis Projects:
The thesis project includes a research paper, drawings, models, narrative and a complete set of documentation in compliance with local regulations. Students are required to develop a constructable design proposal within the urban context of San Francisco or the student's country of origin.
Click to view Architecture course descriptions and schedules
Architecture Career and Job Opportunities
- Architectural Principals
- Studio Directors
- Lead Designers
- Architectural Detailers
- Job Captains
- Graphic Renderers
- Urban Designers
- And more!
Architecture Companies Hiring Our Graduates
- Anshen + Allen
- Architecture International
- Babey Moulton Jue & Booth
- Backen Gillam Architects
- Brayton Hughes Design Studios
- Crate & Barrel
- Ellerbe Becket, Inc.
- FME Architecture + Design
- Hart Howerton
- Hirsch Bedner Associates
- Kishimoto Gordon Dalaya PC
- Architecture Planning Interiors
- Masco Contractor Services
- MBH Architects
- Paul Jones Architects Ltd.
- Saida + Sullivan Design Partners
- Walter E. Smithe Custom Furniture
- Your Space Interiors
- And More!
Helpful Architecture Information
More Architecture School Information
- Contact Us: An admissions advisor is available to answer all of your questions. We would love to hear from you!
- Mail Me Info: Click to request exclusive mailings about your areas of interest.
- Apply Now: Applying is easy! Click to apply online, or to get information about other application options.
Architecture School's Campus Tour
If you're interested in signing up for one of the Academy of Art University's campus tours, please click here for more information.
Click here to view upcoming Academy events.
Contact us at 800.544.2787 or Request Info.