School of Architecture
M.Arch Program Learning Outcomes
The Architecture graduate school tracks (M.Arch) have been designed to equip the graduate student with the ability to enhance the experience of our environment through the process of discovering the logic of meaning and the art of making. The School of Architecture empowers the student to apply creativity, artistic vision, critical thinking and technical developments towards the continued evolution of architecture.
Each graduate student completes a thesis project during the Directed Study component of the architecture degree program. The thesis project includes a research paper, drawings, models, narrative and a complete set of documentation in compliance with local regulations. Students are required to develop a constructable design proposal within the urban context of San Francisco or the student's country of origin. The completed thesis project will be critically appraised by a formal Committee of faculty and professionals at the graduate student's Final Review.
M.Arch graduates of the School of Architecture will meet the following student performance criteria:
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
^ back to top
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of
art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis
of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual,
oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and
contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for
art and design.
If you're interested in signing up for one of the Academy of Art University's campus tours, please
click here for more information.
Click here to view upcoming Academy events.