School of Fashion
Fashion School: Facility Highlights
The state-of-the-art facilities at Academy of Art University’s School of Fashion feature the same cutting-edge equipment that top fashion houses use. Whether they are in the graduate fashion program or pursuing an Associates or Bachelors degree in fashion, students use everything from the latest in digital patternmaking to industrial-grade knitting machines and more to bring their designs and ideas to life.
Located near San Francisco’s Union Square, a world-renowned fashion shopping district, the School of Fashion Design houses four areas of specialization: Fashion Design for Women's wear, Men's wear and Children's wear; Knitwear design; Textile design and Fashion Merchandising & Marketing.
School of Fashion Facilities & Equipment
Students pursuing a Fashion Design degree have access to all the tools they need for creating fresh, new collections for men and women. Using cutting-edge facilities, students create the incredible clothing and wearable art that garners accolades at New York Fashion Week and the Graduation Fashion Show in San Francisco. Facilities include:
- Gerber computerized patternmaking systems – Software, digitizer and plotter for developing computer-generated patternmaking and grading
- Fusing press – Machine for fusing fabrics to interfacing stabilizes and stiffens fabrics for tailoring
- Industrial sewing machines – For constructing woven and cut & sewn knit garments
- Leather sewing machines – Heavy‐duty machines for constructing leather garments and accessories
- Over 120 women’s and men’s dress forms – Used for draping and building garments directly on the form. Recent additions to the department include eight new sportswear dress forms in our MFA fashion school studio.
Students in the Knitwear Design program use industry-grade knitting machines and more to create innovative constructed garments and striking knit patterns. Facilities include:
- Two Stoll industrial knitting machines, 7–gauge and 12–gauge – Sample and production knitting machines that create every knit structure and garment style for full fashion and cut & sew knits
At Academy of Art University, Textile designers print yardage of their unique prints and fabrics. With the Academy’s world-class equipment, students create fabrics that are used in runway shows in New York and San Francisco, gaining them incredible exposure for their work. Facilities include:
- Two heat transfer presses – Textile printing machines for synthetic fibers, which produce samples of yardage of printed fabric
- Four repeat printing tables – Textile printing tables for silk‐screen printing used to create samples of yardage for production
Fashion Merchandising & Marketing
A focus on real-world experience drives the Fashion Merchandising & Marketing program at Academy of Art University. Students have everything they need to succeed at the Academy and beyond. Facilities include:
- Gallery Store – Located in the heart of San Francisco, Academy of Art University’s Gallery Store is a perfect opportunity for students to gain experience in creating compelling window displays and managing a boutique business.
Contact us at 800.544.2787 or Request Info.