Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits

Academy of Art University is authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students enrolled in our degree programs for benefits under Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty and Selected Reserve), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill and the Fry Scholarship), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 35 (Veteran’s Spouses or Dependents), Chapter 1606 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve), and Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program). The Department of Veterans Affairs determines eligibility and chapter.

Item 4

Prospective Students

With gratitude and respect to the men and women who serve our nation:

If you are serving in the US Armed Forces (Active Duty, Reserves, or National Guard) or a veteran of the US Armed Forces (with other than dishonorable discharge) your Academy of Art University application fee will be waived.


Phone: 1-800-544-ARTS (2787)

To Apply:

  • Complete VA application online:
  • Print out completed application and submit a copy to AAU’s certifying official or provide a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  • Apply to the Academy of Art University:
    Click HERE or call 1-800-544-ARTS (2787)
  • Once application is complete submit Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or completed VA application to
    • Students eligible for Chapter 31 benefits (VA Vocational Rehabilitation) should submit VA Form 28-1905 instead (not required for non-Ch 31 students)

Types of Benefits

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

    Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for students’ education programs without an additional charge to their GI Bill entitlement.

    The University has elected to absorb 50%, which is the maximum, for 30 undergraduate units or 24 graduate units.

    Undergraduate Student Example:


Fall 2013

(12 units)

Spring 2014

(12 units)

Summer 2014

(6 units)

Tuition $9,420.00 $9,420.00 $4,710.00
Fees (Estimates) $250.00 $400.00 $300.00
TOTAL (Tuition + Fees) $9,670.00 $9,820.00 $5,010.00
VA Pays (up to $19,198.31) $9,670.00 $9,528.31 $0.00
Remaining Balance $0.00 $291.69 $5,010.00
2nd VA Payment (50%) $0.00 $145.84 $2,505.00
School Pays (50%) $0.00 $145.85 $2,505.00
Student Pays $0.00 $0.00 $0.00


  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)


  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (Chapter 35)

  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
    • The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) service (also known as the Chapter 31 program) is vested with delivering timely, effective vocational rehabilitation services to veterans with service-connected disabilities. These services enable our injured soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen, and other veterans with disabilities to make a seamless transition from military service to a successful rehabilitation and on to suitable employment after service to our Nation.

      VR&E's primary benefit program is vocational rehabilitation. VR&E also provides educational and vocational counseling to eligible service members, veterans, and veterans' dependents. The outcome of this counseling is assistance in the selection of an educational or vocational goal and/or assistance in the selection of training institutions where this goal may be pursued.

      To receive the very best service, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly and speak with a VA representative to determine eligibility at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

      Eligibility is determined by your local Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. If eligible, please submit your VA Form 28-1905 to the VA Certifying Official via fax (1-415-618-6273) or email (


  • Other Programs
    • MyCAA: The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program

      The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 (over 2 years) of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

      Click here to download the MyCAA FAQ booklet from Military OneSource

*** If you do not meet any of the above Chapters, but feel that you are eligible for VA benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (1-888-442-4551) for other available chapters.***


Quick Guide to VA Forms

In order to collect your VA Educational Benefits, you must complete and/or submit any and all required documents to the VA Certifying Official. Please refer to this guide to determine which forms you must turn in:


Form Number Form Name Who needs it?
22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits
  • Chapter 30, 1607, or 1606
  • Chapter 33-Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Never collected benefits
22-1995 Request For Change of Program or Place of Training
  • Chapter 30, 33, 1607, or 1606
  • Collected benefits before
22-5490 Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 35
  • Never collected benefits
22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 35
  • Collected benefits before
  • Educational Objective changes
28-1905 Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance Into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status
  • Chapter 31
  • Collected benefits before (submit every semester)

Prior to Registration

Before registering for classes, please submit the following documents to the VA Certifying Official:

  • VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)—OR—completed VA application (can be completed at:
    • Submit only once, prior to first semester of attendance
  • Students eligible for Chapter 31 benefits (VA Vocational Rehabilitation) should submit VA Form 28-1905 instead of COE or VA application (not required for non-Ch 31 students)
    • Must be submitted every semester
  • VA Student's Bill of Rights
    • Submit only once, prior to first semester of attendance
  • Education Plan
    • May list up to 4 semesters on one form.  - Note: If the form does not open in your browser, please download the pdf before filling it out.
  • Request for Certification
    • Submit one form per semester, every semester


If applicable, please also submit:


Kicker/College Fund

Tuition Authorization Form (see Tuition Assistance section above)

After Registration

Once you’ve registered for classes, please be sure you have also submitted the following:

  • Request for Certification (In order to receive benefits, this form must be completed and submitted every semester.)

  • Official Transcripts – You must submit all transcripts of military service credit to:
    • Army
      The Army uses the AARTS system (New JST Joint Services Transcripts), which automatically captures your academic credits from military training, and standardized tests.
      AARTS (JST) Home Page

    • Navy and Marines
      The Navy and Marine Corps use the SMART system (New JST Joint Services Transcripts). This system automatically captures your training, experience and standardized test scores.
      SMART (JST) Home Page

    • Air Force
      The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) automatically captures your training, experience and standardized test scores.
      CCAF web site

    • Coast Guard
      The Coast Guard Institute (CGI) requires each service member to submit documentation of all training (except correspondence course records), along with an enrollment form, to receive a transcript.
      USCG Transcript Request

    • Veterans
      You will need to provide your Discharge Documents to receive credit or your experience.


Make sure that you register for your courses on time to ensure prompt certification of your enrollment. Information about qualifying pay rate and payment dates is available only through direct contact between the student and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Visit Rate Tables or call 1-888-442-4551 for payment information. 

Recipients of Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, and Chapter 1607 benefits must verify their attendance by calling the automated verification line at 1-877-823-2378, or by accessing the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) online (

Please note that payments (except Chapter 33) are sent directly to you. Payments are sent to students after the month. For example, February’s benefits will be received in March and March’s benefits will be received in April.

Your payment rates are based on your enrollment status.


Status Fall & Spring Summer
Full-time 12 units 6 units
3/4 time 9 units N/A
1/2 time 6 units 3 units
1/4 time 3 units N/A


Status Fall & Spring Summer
Full-time 9 units 6 units
3/4 time 6 units N/A
1/2 time 3 units 3 units

Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. 

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.

Additionally active duty members may elect to use the MGIB "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high cost courses.

TA is not a loan; it should be viewed as money you have earned just like your base pay.

Reserve Tuition Assistance

Army Reserve (USAR)

The Army Reserve offers opportunities for selected reserve soldiers to pursue their education on a voluntary basis.

The USAR offers:

  • 100% tuition assistance up to $250 per semester hour not to exceed $4,500 annually

Navy Reserve (USNR)

There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Navy Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Navy Tuition Assistance.

Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR)

There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Marine Corps Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Marine Corps Tuition Assistance.

Air Force Reserve (USAFR)

In an effort to support the professional and education goals of Air Force Reservists, the Air Force provides several voluntary education programs for its reserve members.

USAFR offers:

  • Undergraduate (Associates and Bachelors Degrees) and Graduate Studies (Masters Degree)
    • Not to exceed $250 per semester hour
    • Up to $4,500 annually.

All TA for Active Duty, USAR, and ARNG Soldiers must be requested through GoArmyEd.




GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. Eligible members can use this site to access information about testing, transcripts, tuition assistance, and more.One resource provided is a list of Multi-use Learning Facilities (MLF)/Army Learning Centers (ALC) located worldwide.

Find out more about the training and education resources provided through each branch of service by exploring the following websites:

TA Procedures

  1. Student must declare a specific degree as an educational goal and obtain a degree map. TA will only be approved for courses that are listed on the degree map or lead to the goal. Student needs to establish an educational goal with an Admissions Representative (1-415-274-2219). 
  2. Student must contact an Education Center counselor for validation of their chosen educational goal and confirm TA eligibility. 
  3. Submit a TA Authorization Form to the Financial Aid Office: 
    • Fax: 1-415-618-6273 
    • Email:
    • Mail: Academy of Art University, Attn: Financial Aid Office, 79 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 
  4. Contact Accounts Receivable (1-415-618-6429 or to make payment arrangements. If applying for financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office (1-415-618-6190 or to ensure financial aid file is complete. 

Other Financial Aid Resources

The following institutions are unaffiliated with AAU, but offer additional information on student financial aid.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I am I eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program? 

I used my GI Bill at another school, what do I need to do to transfer it to this school?

How much will Tuition Assistance cover?