Academy of Art University and Fairmont San Francisco have partnered to celebrate and showcase the photography portfolio of young artists in a new Gallery of Art located on the Fairway level of the landmark hotel.
In October of 2015, Academy of Art University launched a photography contest inviting students to share their visions of San Francisco. More than 100 students responded to the call, and the hotel unveiled the winning works at a reception honoring the student artists on Dec. 17. The quintessentially San Francisco exhibit will remain on display through December 2016.
“Throughout its history, San Francisco has inspired artists, and their creative work has in turn inspired people from around the world to visit our city,” says Tom Klein, regional vice president and general manager of Fairmont San Francisco. “We want to help cultivate the careers of art students studying in the Bay Area by giving them a place where their talent can be appreciated.”
The 18 photos that line the Fairway of the hotel show fresh perspectives of San Francisco treasures such as City Hall and the Golden Gate Bridge, and capture timeless glimpses of living in the city.
Grand Prize winner Kushal Kapoor received a $1,000 Fairmont San Francisco gift card for his portrait “Sail,” which shows a lone sailboat as it passes through the vast shadow cast by the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s not his first honor: In 2014, Kapoor won a national award in the 12th All India Photography Exhibition in his native Lucknow, India.
Second Prize went to Analia Gutierrez’ “Full of Grace,” a composite of images of the city and faith. Gutierrez was awarded a two-night-stay at the hotel, including dinner and breakfast.
“Wonderland” by Qianwen Jiang placed third in the competition. The work is a kaleidoscope of San Francisco architectural details, with many elements reflecting the city’s Chinese heritage.
“Academy of Art University’s mission is to help students reach their full potential in myriad creative disciplines, from photography to painting and fashion design to auto design,” says Dr. Elisa Stephens, president of Academy of Art University. “The photography contest for the Fairmont’s Gallery of Art was the perfect opportunity for our students to challenge themselves to produce innovative and breathtaking photos that reimagine classic San Francisco landmarks and vistas.”
Each of the Academy photography students whose work is on display at the Fairmont’s Gallery of Art earned an overnight stay at Fairmont San Francisco, including breakfast.
The following students, all from the Academy’s School of Photography, submitted images selected for the exhibition:
• Kushal Kapoor, MFA, “Sail”—Grand Prize
• Analia Gutierrez, MFA, “Full of Grace”—Second Prize
• Qianwen Jiang, MFA, “Wonderland”
• Danny Adams, BFA, “Cliff House”
• Nate Bernardo, BFA, “Bay Lights”
• Cesar Cedano, MFA, “Bay Luminance”
• TeeJay DelaCruz, BFA, “Pier 14”
• Leticia Flores, MFA, “Les Amoureux Secret”
• Leticia Flores, MFA, “Past Is Calling”
• Qianwen Jiang, MFA, “Window View”
• Kushal Kapoor, MFA, “Honeymoon”
• Kushal Kapoor, MFA, “Illusion”
• Roberto Lopez, BFA, “A Model of Reality”
• Matthew O’Brien, BFA, Untitled
• Stephen Parsons, MFA, “SF City Scape”
• Kamolpat Vitthayanukorn, MFA, “San Francisco City Hall”
• Kai Wai Wong, BFA, “Gate”
• Claire Zhao, BFA, “San Francisco Signature Mist”