Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Effectively utilize line, edge, value and design in their work
- Draw with opinion and evidence of individual style
- Accurately and appropriately interpret the figure, landscape, and architecture
Composition and Color
- Effectively use focal point, eye path and value
- Create coherent thumbnails, comps, and layouts
- Use color and value effectively to enhance story and ideas
Tools and Technique
- Execute their illustration work using appropriate tools and media
Visual Problem Solving
- Demonstrate in their portfolio the ability to meet client needs and solve client problems
- Tell a story visually and/or create visually engaging and conceptually meaningful imagery
- Illustrate in a consistent and uniquely identifiable style
Critical Thinking and Development
- Demonstrate the ability to research for inspiration, reference, accuracy, and incorporate findings into client-based solutions.
- Articulate intentions and analyze whether or not work meets objectives
- Professionally articulate ideas and proposals
- Create cohesive digital and printed portfolios that incorporate current industry practices and presentation standards
- Generate and maintain a business/career plan
- Understand and practice professional pricing, contract, and bookkeeping skills
- (Midpoint) Clearly articulate career goals
- Print & Publication and Comics: Create engaging narratives that demonstrate an understanding of the elements of storytelling: idea, structure, conflict, character, and imagery
- Publication & Print and Comics: Display continuity and consistent character in layouts
- Comics: Demonstrate an understanding comic art dialog and symbols through appropriate placement of communication symbols within layouts
- Entertainment Art: Display their process for exploring and developing ideas and designs
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.