Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree.
- Demonstrate the feasibility of the thesis project.
- Produce a cohesive body of work demonstrating personal vision and professional level achievement in concept and execution.
- Work with advanced level skill in chosen mediums and techniques.
Research and Concept Development
- Explore ideas, articulate concepts, and conceive solutions.
- Apply project-related research to design solutions.
- Critically discuss work using objective criteria: describing facts, analyzing techniques, interpreting content, and evaluating results
- Discuss work within the context of historical movements and contemporary trends in the thesis proposal, final paper, and directed study journals.
- Give clear, concise presentations supported by appropriate visual materials.
- Professionally present and exhibit artwork.
- Manage workload to meet deadlines.
- Produce a portfolio and collateral materials suitable for chosen career path.
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.