Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of their thesis project
- Produce a professional-standard project, with topical content for the industry, showcasing artistic ability
- Demonstrate strong drawing and compositional skills
- Create value studies that demonstrate an understanding of lighting, composition, and space
Research and Critical Thinking
- Apply visual research to design solutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the production pipeline by presenting an effective timeline at the Midpoint Review (MPR only)
- Collaborate effectively to produce creative projects
- Apply color and design elements consistent with the overall look of the film.
- Design elements to support the narrative
- Demonstrate continuity in visual storytelling
- Create visually compelling, professional-quality presentation materials
- Pitch ideas clearly and professionally
- Produce a professional-level digital and print portfolio suitable for seeking employment within the industry
- Demonstrate accountability for planning complex projects, prioritizing tasks and meeting project milestones.
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.