The application process for international students wishing to attend Academy of Art University can be completed in three steps. Please refer to the information on this page and speak with our international admissions representatives for questions and help.
How to Apply: International Students
Incoming international students can apply online here or by downloading either the International Undergraduate Form or the International Graduate Form and printing an application and mailing it to: Academy of Art University Attn: International Admissions 79 New Montgomery St. San Francisco, CA 94105 Or fax your application to 415-618-6278
Pay the $150 Application Fee*
- Payment via Flywire. To begin the payment process, visit AcademyArt.Flywire.com
- Check or money order made payable to “Academy of Art University”
- Visa, Mastercard, and Discover credit cards
*The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Pay the International Student Services Fee*
$300 for onsite students
*The international student fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Pay the $2,500 Tuition Deposit
In order to complete your application please submit these requirements. These requirements must be met in order for you to be registered for the first semester.
- You are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score, however, you will be given a placement exam upon arrival at the Academy of Art University if you have not taken the TOEFL or IELTS.
- You must show a official bank letter showing that you have the necessary funds to go to school and live in San Francisco California. As an international student you must show proof of $40,000 USD for 1 year of tuition and living expenses.
- You must submit an original transcript showing proof of your graduation from secondary school, and if applying to the graduate school, proof of a Bachelors Degree or the equivalent.
- You will be required to pay a refundable enrollment deposit of $2500.00 USD, to secure your place at the Academy of Art University (please pay with a credit card through http://academyart.flywire.com/. All refunds will be returned within 45 days of our receipt of a formal notice that you will not attend the Academy of Art University.
Once these requirements have been met, you will be issued an I-20 , the document you will use to obtain a visa for entrance into the United States.
Things You’ll Need...
- Official high school transcripts and diploma
- College transcripts (if applicable) must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits, and number of hours completed for each class
Art Portfolio/Demo Reel
- Undergraduate Applicants: An art portfolio is not required for admission, but it will help the admission process
- Graduate Applicants: An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
Official Bank Letter
A letter or certificate from your bank in English showing a minimum balance of $37,600 USD *Financial aid is not available for international students, and students should not depend on employment in the United States for financial support while attending the Academy.
TOEFL or IELTS Score
- You may submit your application for admissions before taking the test.
- More information available online:
- Our institutional code for TOEFL is 4207; we do not require these scores and do not have a minimum score requirement. You will, however, be evaluated for your English language proficiency upon your arrival.
If your transcripts are not in English, they must be translated and notarized. Some may also require an evaluation to determine US equivalency. Agencies that can help for a fee:
For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.