The application process for international students wishing to attend Academy of Art University can be completed in three steps. Please refer to the information on this page and speak with our international admissions representatives for questions and help.
How to Apply: International Students
Apply Online, by Mail or FAX
Incoming international students can apply online here or by downloading either the International Undergraduate Form or the International Graduate Form and printing an application and mailing it to: Academy of Art University Attn: International Admissions 79 New Montgomery St San Francisco, CA 94105 Or fax your application to 415-618-6278.
Things You’ll Need...
- Official high school transcripts and diploma
- College transcripts (if applicable) must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits, and number of hours completed for each class
If your transcripts are not in English, they must be translated and notarized. Some may also require an evaluation to determine US equivalency. Agencies that can help for a fee:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Art Portfolio/Demo Reel
- Undergraduate Applicants: An art portfolio is not required for admission, but it will help the admission process
- Graduate Applicants: An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
Official Bank Letter
An official bank letter (from student, family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $43,000 USD or equivalent. *Financial aid is not available for international students, and students should not depend on employment in the United States for financial support while attending the Academy.
All international students are required to take the Duolingo English Assessment before attending classes at the university. We highly recommend that you start an account with Duolingo, practice and take the test, and request your best score to be sent to our university. All scores/results must be received by the university two weeks before the start of the semester.
- Step 1: Contact email@example.com for the school's ID number before taking the test. (The Academy will reach out to you with an invitation to take the Duolingo test.)
- Step 2: Submit your score to Academy of Art University through Duolingo web site by clicking the “Send Score” button on your test results.
Pay the Registration Fee
The registration fee is $50. The registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Pay the $150 Application Fee*
- Payment via Flywire. To begin the payment process, visit AcademyArt.Flywire.com
- Check or money order made payable to “Academy of Art University”
- Visa, Mastercard, and Discover credit cards
*The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Pay the International Student Services Fee*
$300 for onsite students *The international student fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Pay the $2,500 Tuition Deposit
In order to complete your application please submit these requirements. These requirements must be met in order for you to be registered for the first semester.
- You are not required to submit a language proficiency score/result to apply for an Admissions. However, we recommend you to take the Duolingo as soon as possible before arriving at the university and submit your result for English assessment.
- You must show a official bank letter showing that you have the necessary funds to go to school and live in San Francisco California. As an international student you must show proof of at least $43,000 USD for 1 academic year (Fall & Spring) of tuition and housing expenses.
- You must submit an original transcript showing proof of your graduation from secondary school, and if applying to the graduate school, proof of a Bachelors Degree or the equivalent.
- You will be required to pay a refundable enrollment deposit of $2500.00 USD, to secure your place at the Academy of Art University (please pay with a credit card through http://academyart.flywire.com/. All refunds will be returned within 45 days of our receipt of a formal notice that you will not attend the Academy of Art University.
Once these requirements have been met, you will be issued an I-20 , the document you will use to obtain a visa for entrance into the United States.
International Application Procedures
What to expect after completing the application (On-site students only)
International applicants who plan to study on-site (our campus in San Francisco) will receive information detailing the student visa application process once you’re offered admission to Academy of Art University. Here is the overview of the journey ahead of you after you complete the application process.
- Make sure your personal and program information on the first page of your I-20 is correct. Any correction must be reported to your advisor immediately—we’ll make the correction and mail you a new one.
- Print your name, sign, and date the I-20 on the bottom of page one.
- There are strict regulations to which you agree when you sign the I-20 and enter the U.S. as an F-1 student. Read these regulations on page 2 of your I-20 carefully—you are responsible for knowing them.
- Send an email to your advisor to confirm you received your I-20.
- You are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee of $350 by mail or over the Internet. Please see the SEVIS I-901 Fee instructions in the I-20 package. Academy of Art School Code is SFR 214F 00500000
- Your SEVIS ID number can be found on page one of your I-20 (upper right corner).
- To apply for an F-1 Student Visa, contact the U.S Embassy/Consulate in your home country for details. Some U.S. Embassies/Consulates will accept your visa application at any time, while others will require you to make an appointment in advance, so be sure you plan ahead. It can take more than a month to process a student visa.
- If you are from a country that is participating in the visa waiver program, Do not enter the U.S. on a visa waiver—you must apply for an F-1 Student Visa. After you’ve obtained your F-1 visa you are required to send an email to let your advisor know.
You can register for your classes after receiving your F-1 student visa and speaking with your advisor. After class registration is completed, you can log on to Student Self Service to:
- View your class schedule
- Sign the Enrollment Agreement (mandatory)
- Make tuition payments
- Submit your U.S. address and phone number, if you have them
- Choose your own room assignment after you’ve applied for on campus housing.
Note: If you have not received your username and password, please contact your advisor. • After you receive your F-1 Student Visa, book your flight to San Francisco (SFO). You can enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 program start date.
Purchase your plane ticket.
Email or call our Admissions Office to speak to a Specialist