1. File a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) can be used to determine if undergraduate and graduate students in the U.S. are eligible for financial aid. Completing the FAFSA is the first step in a student being considered for federal and state education aid programs.

To complete the FAFSA online, you may go to the FAFSA website at:


Academy of Art University Federal School ID Number: 007531

The FAFSA is not automatically renewed. You will need to file a new FAFSA for each school year you want financial aid. For example:

  • 2016–2017 FAFSA is needed Fall 2016–Spring 2017–Summer 2017
  • 2017–2018 FAFSA is needed Fall 2017–Spring 2018–Summer 2018

2. Review Student Aid Report (SAR)

Once your FAFSA is processed, the Federal Processor will send you a Student Aid Report.

Review your SAR carefully. If you need to make changes or corrections, please follow the instructions on your SAR.

  • In order to process your financial aid, you must have applied to Academy of Art University and provided your social security number on your admissions application
  • Once the Academy of Art University Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA, we will email you further instructions and forms. Some forms can be completed through your Student Self Service (https://sss.academyart.edu). Your student username and password is required to log into Student Self Service. Other forms will required you to submit via email, fax, mail, or in-person:

Academy of Art University

79 New Montgomery Street

San Francisco, CA  94105

Email: FinancialAid@academyart.edu

Fax: 1-415-618-6273

  • If the U.S. Department of Education selects your file for verification, the information on your FAFSA must be verified with the documents you submitted to the Financial Aid Office. A Financial Aid Officer will review your file. If the information on the documents you provided us is inconsistent with the information you reported on your FAFSA, you may receive a follow up letter informing you of the steps you will need to take in order for the awarding process to continue. It may be necessary for us to make corrections and send them to the Federal Processor before the award can be confirmed. We will notify you of any corrections made. A corrected SAR will follow from the Federal Processor. The financial aid award will follow.

3. Receiving Your Financial Aid Award Letter

You will receive an award letter via Academy E-mail indicating the amount and types of aid you are eligible to receive based on a full time enrollment assumption. Awards may consist of a combination of Federal Grants and Federal Direct Loans. This Financial Aid package awarded to you at Academy of Art University is not transferable to another educational institution. If you want to acccept or decline all of or part of your award, click the accept or decline award link. You will need to log in to Student Self Service, username and password required:





For more information regarding tuition payments and disbursements contact the Financial Aid Office (FinancialAid@academyart.edu or 1-415-618-6190).

4. Financial Aid Award Disbursements

Financial aid awards are disbursed after school starts and are applied against your tuition account. If funds applied toward your tuition account exceed your tuition balance, a credit balance will be created and you will receive a refund for the amount of credit on your account. Please allow 2 weeks for processing refunds. Refunds are available by direct deposit or mailed checks. For more information please visit our Refund Options. You will need to log in to Student Self Service, username and password required:




Deadline for California Resident Applicants (undergraduate only) - March 2

State deadline for new Cal Grant applicants to submit a FAFSA and GPA Verification to the California Student Aid Commission. Cal Grants are funded by the State of California. Cal Grants are only for California residents – those who have or will be a California resident for at least one year by the application deadline – and not have a bachelor’s degree or greater degree. If you’re under 18 years of age, your residency is determined by your parent’s state of legal residency.