Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Art and Design Skills
- Create a portfolio of work representing a broad range of visual media as well as a specialized discipline of art / design
Teaching and Communication Skills
- Design effective art education curricula targeted to an intended audience with consideration for the needs of diverse learners
- Demonstrate appropriate applications of content standards such as the California Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade Visual Arts Standards
- Articulate the importance of art in education based on research, observation and experience
- Articulate the formal and expressive properties of works of art / design as well as their content, meaning and purpose
Knowledge of Human Development
- Articulate appropriate strategies for meeting the needs of all learners and learning styles with consideration for human developmental stages, cultural and linguistic diversity, physical and cognitive disabilities and accelerated learning in art education settings
- Demonstrate breadth and depth of accomplishment as an artist and art educator through a professional portfolio
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.