School of Art Education
BFA Program Learning Outcomes
The objective of the School of Art Education is to provide a pathway to teaching in art museums and community-based art programs. As Art Education majors, students develop a thorough knowledge of art and design content along with the concepts for understanding and teaching their audiences. Students demonstrate their competencies in the visual arts and art education through a Final Presentation Portfolio and Journal.
BFA graduates of the School of Art Education will meet the following student performance criteria:
Art and Design Skills
Create a portfolio of work representing a broad range of visual media as well as a specialized discipline of art / design
Teaching and Communication Skills
Design effective art education curricula targeted to an intended audience with consideration for the needs of diverse learners
Demonstrate appropriate applications of content standards such as the California Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade Visual Arts Standards
Articulate the importance of art in education based on research, observation and experience
Articulate the formal and expressive properties of works of art / design as well as their content, meaning and purpose
Knowledge of Human Development
Articulate appropriate strategies for meeting the needs of all learners and learning styles with consideration for human developmental stages, cultural and linguistic diversity, physical and cognitive disabilities and accelerated learning in art education settings
Demonstrate breadth and depth of accomplishment as an artist and art educator through a professional portfolio
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
^ back to top
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of
art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis
of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual,
oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and
contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for
art and design.
If you're interested in signing up for one of the Academy of Art University's campus tours, please
click here for more information.
Click here to view upcoming Academy events.