In general, F-1 students are considered to be non-residents for their first five calendar years in the U.S. Example: An F-1 student who arrived in the U.S. for the first time in January of 2002 is a non-resident through 2006. In 2007, the same student will become a resident for tax purposes if s/he remains in the U.S. for a minimum of 183 days during that year.

The primary tax forms for non-residents are listed below. Your personal circumstances will dictate which form you need to submit:

  • 1040NR-EZ – US Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents
  • 1040NR – US Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return
  • 8843 – Statement for Exempt Individuals

Refer to the following for details:


Please note that there is no one at the International Services Office who is able to give tax advice.

Office Location: 79 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone Number: 415-274-2208

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday: 9 am to 7 pm
Saturday: 9 am – 5 pm

Drop In Hours:
Tuesday – Thursday: 9:30 am – 12 pm
Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 3 pm – 5:30 pm

Academy of Art University Search Search Search Previous Next Previous Next Next Next Chat Quote Facebook Google Plus Instagram Pinterest Twitter YouTube LinkedIn TikTok WeHeartIt Download App Close