Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process’ and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.
Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use tuition assistance (TA) to complete a degree program while on active duty, and don’t plan to continue your education after service. Top-up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill® benefits for after service to complete your education program.
Tuition assistance is not a loan; it should be viewed as money you have earned just like your base pay.
- Air Force Tuition Assistance
- Army Tuition Assistance
- Navy Tuition Assistance
- Marines Tuition Assistance
- Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
- National Guard Tuition Assistance
- Reserve Tuition Assistance
Reserve Tuition Assistance
Army Reserve (USAR)
The Army Reserve offers opportunities for selected reserve soldiers to pursue their education on a voluntary basis.
The USAR offers 100% tuition assistance up to $250 per semester hour not to exceed $4,500 annually.
Navy Reserve (USNR)
There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Navy Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Navy Tuition Assistance.
Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR)
There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Marine Corps Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Marine Corps Tuition Assistance.
Air Force Reserve (USAFR)
In an effort to support the professional and education goals of Air Force Reservists, the Air Force provides several voluntary education programs for its reserve members.
- Undergraduate (Associates and Bachelors Degrees) and Graduate Studies (Masters Degree)
- Not to exceed $250 per semester hour
- Up to $4,500 annually.
All tuition assistance for Active Duty, USAR, and ARNG Soldiers must be requested through GoArmyEd.
GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. Eligible members can use this site to access information about testing, transcripts, tuition assistance, and more.One resource provided is a list of Multi-use Learning Facilities (MLF)/Army Learning Centers (ALC) located worldwide.
Find out more about the training and education resources provided through each branch of service by exploring the following websites:
- Army Training and Doctrine Command
- Navy Education and Training Command
- Air Education and Training Command
- Marine Corps Training and Education Command
- Coast Guard Training Center
Tuition Assistance Procedures
- Student must declare a specific degree as an educational goal and obtain a degree map. Tuition assistance will only be approved for courses that are listed on the degree map or lead to the goal. Student needs to establish an educational goal with a Military Admissions Representative (1-415-618-8551).
- Student must contact an Education Center counselor for validation of their chosen educational goal and confirm tuition assitance eligibility.
- Submit a Tuition Assistance Authorization Form to the Financial Aid Office:
- Fax: 1-415-618-6273
- Email: VA@academyart.edu
- Mail: Academy of Art University, Attn: Financial Aid Office, 79 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
- Contact Accounts Receivable (1-415-618-6429 or AR@academyart.edu) to make payment arrangements. If you’re applying for financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office (1-415-618-6190 or VA@academyart.edu) to ensure that your financial aid file is complete.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.