Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Generate functional designs for entertainment media (2D or 3D), following an industry-standard process from thumbnails through final render
- Effectively communicate narrative, theme and character through design choices
- Maintain a consistent “language” or “signature style” in art directing a scene with the requisite continuity in visual storytelling
- Demonstrate the ability to research for inspiration, reference, and accuracy
- Demonstrate flexibility in illustrative style by showing both a unique personal style and the ability to accommodate style to project needs
- Draw and paint convincing poses, expressions, character designs, thumbnails, storyboards and production paintings
- Demonstrate facility creating perspective and conveying anatomy and proportion in human and animal figures.
- Master the use of a focal point, with value, color, detail and composition.
- Demonstrate proficient skills with relevant animation technology and software.
- Create visually compelling and cohesive presentations
- Discuss work clearly and professionally
- Collaborate effectively on creative projects
- Produce a comprehensive portfolio (digital and print) which meets industry standards
- Manage workload to meet deadlines
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.